Saturday, November 20, 2010

Can You Hear Me Now?

I'm so sorry I've been AWOL the past few days. Between Prince William getting engaged, one of my kids having a not so good week at school, and my trying to get used to a new cell phone, I've been swamped.

Yes, you read that right. I'm not sure if he was shamed into it after my dear readers strongly suggested Tom buy me a new phone-- I do believe Ali even insinuated I still had a "bag phone"-- but Tom finally coughed up my belated birthday present--- an Android! Eeek. It is Fan-cy!

This thing talks and texts and GPS's and Facebooks and everything!

The learning curve is steep.

Day One I carried it around in my pocket, but nothing happened. I fondled it to no avail. Turns out what I thought was the on button....wasn't. It might as well have been a block of wood anyway, because I found out later that it wasn't activated yet.

Day Two I let Molly get her little hands on it and before I knew it, she had uploaded HER contacts to my phone. I know, I didn't realize 9 year olds had contacts either, but before I'd even learned how to turn it on, there was a contact list that included, "Mommy, Daddy, Auntie L., and Natalie R." in my phone. Much as I'd like to call my "Mommy"some days, she's no longer with us and I really need to find a way to get MY contacts off of the defunct phone and onto this one.

Day 3 Molly played some more and said, "Mommy, who is Jimmy P.?" Uhhhhh.... a friend from 9th grade? Turns out somehow all of my Facebook friends are in there now, but what I really want is a way to call the other soccer carpool moms. Now I'm wishing I'd written their names down on like, a piece of paper or something.

Day 4, I was driving and a friend's voice just came into my car! Bluetooth, baby. Bluetooth.

I'm sure before we know it, I'll be Tweeting and texting and who knows what else, but at this point it's Day 5 and I haven't made a phone call yet.

You see, there are two drawbacks of the new phone: no reception in my house or at work. Right. Tom says, "Why would you need a cell phone in the house when we have a land line?" Grrr.

So while I'm trying to get used to my fancy new toy, I'm also trying not to get too attached.

I hope to be in touch soon. Even if it is with a message in a bottle.

13 comments:

L said...

Can't wait to hear about you being all technology-y when you figure it out! Text me, baby!

Brenda Susan said...

Ha! I love figuring out a new gadget. Hubs says I get all glassy-eyed as I spend hours pushing buttons. Ha!
But I am always frustrated at first and want to give up. My Mac is keeping me busy enough these ays!

Kristina P. said...

Welcome to the 20th Century. Yeah, last century.

Shana said...

If having the ability to make an actual phone call is an important feature in a cell phone for you, then don't get an iPhone. Luckily, the "i" part makes up for the completely ridiculous lack of AT&T service in the "phone" part. Sadly, even though I never have reception, I still love it bad. Pathetic. PS: send me your number! I'll text you! I heart the texting! When I have service, that is.

Heidi said...

I am so slow to technology. But, now I'm one of those people with a blackberry who texts while standing in line. Texts! I never thought that was going to happen. It's really only to 2 people, but it's a giant leap for me. And on my Christmas list...I've asked for a Kindle. Another thing I thought I would never want. Who knows what might be next for you?

I can't find my blog said...

You sound like me-I heart my droid but I can't get calls at my house either. (Truthfully, I prefer a land line anyway for house business. Like contractors and such.)

Oh, and my favorite app is solitaire. No lie. And I'll text with you!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

THe no reception thing isn't good...but I think your new phone is very exciting. We have to get together for lunch and I'll set you up on Twitter!

purejoy said...

oh yes. you and twitter. i can hardly wait. you are so funny!
welcome to techno-land. i'm dying that your 9 year old is your tecchnoguru. so funny. hope you get the hang of it soon!

Anonymous said...

You might be the only person I'd follow on Twitter, because you say things like "I fondled it to no avail." Good luck with the new "phone"!

jbhat

Masala Chica said...

did you get a droid? Its been doing all sorts of things to me this past month since I got it. It's possessed! (i refuse to believe this is user error and not technological witchcraft).
Kiran

InMyOwnStyle said...

I hope Santa brings me a smart phone for Christmas. I know It will be overwhelming at first, but trial and error is the way I learn. I have a co-worker who has the iPhone, her 4 year old grandaughter knows more about it then she does.
My best- Diane

Hillarie said...

Hey, thanks for your comments. They made my day and made me start blogging again.

http://onejunkdrawer.blogspot.com/2010/11/hello-is-anybody-still-there.html

Jill said...

Hello my long lost friend ... it's your other AWOL friend here. Here's hoping you get your phone working just the way you want it - so we can text and chat soon!!!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Sending lots of love from somewhat sunny, but chilly and windy California. Looking forward to living on your side of the country soon enough!