Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Fragment


As a child we had a pussywillow tree in the back yard. I loved, loved, loved that tree, as did my mom.

What I didn't love was when she would cut branches and deliver them to the neighbors saying, "Look what I have for you! Aren't these just the prettiest pussywillows (minus the word willow) that you have ever seen? Look how full the pussywillows (minus the word willow) are this year!"

Made me want to crawl in a hole and die.

Today I don't have a tree, but I do have artificial pussywillows in a steel tub in my dining room. We were talking about them the other day and the kids couldn't remember exactly what they were called:

Jake: Oh yeah! Pumpernickels!
Molly: No, they're called Periwinkles.
Jake: Uh...Puggly Wuggles?

So very close. When I told them what they were, they weren't embarrassed in the least, which made me oh so happy... because in a week of TMI, I'm glad there is one "colorful" word they still haven't heard.

8 comments:

Christy said...

Yes, I think it will land you on a weird google search! hehe - that is so cute. And innocent. Love it!

I can't find my blog said...

I have a spot in my bathroom that is begging for a sprig of pussywillow but I hate the fake ones. Any thoughts on where to get good fakes?

Kristina P. said...

We had one too! We should have said pussywillow more often.

purejoy said...

oh dear. love it.
and yes… the land of TMI. it's heartbreaking to watch their little innocence float away. bit by bit.
what a sweet post. and your mom?? hilarious!!

Jenny Hart Boren said...

Since I let my all-gray-now hair grow in this year, I must admit this made me wince a little. But I also have a gray cat, who doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

Heidi said...

Puggly Wuggles. Love that. It sounds like the name of a toy or a board game.
Yeah, I would have wanted to crawl into a hole too. Funny!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I always loved them when I was little too. I can just picture young Anna dying of embarrassment!

dearheart said...

My kid's violin teacher has a song about a pussy (cat). It always makes me giggle. I can't help it. It's ridiculous!