Saturday, January 20, 2018

Pestilence

Due to icy weather, illness, or school holidays, Andrew has only been to preschool 2 times since Dec 13! Being cooped up quickly took a toll on both of us, and I found inertia setting in. Too much TV. Too little human interaction and Vitamin D. One long day stretched into another, and eventually the thought of trying to leave the house became daunting.

Two weeks ago, we had a little break in the weather, so I decided to get off the couch and start taking him places again. First we went to church, where he explored the nursery. Next, I took him to the fancy-pants gym, where I discovered a contented Andrew having a tea party with several little girls and gnawing on the pretend food. The next day, preschool was back in session, and he had a blast as usual.

We both felt more positive about life.

By midnight the following night, however, we'd entered a barf-storm of epic proportions.

The misery.

The helplessness.

The laundry.

Oh, and did I tell you Tim was out of town? Over the next week and 1/2, we each succumbed to this nasty stomach virus AND Andrew was diagnosed with walking pneumonia.

So now we are back on lock-down. See you in the spring.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some things never change. Forty years ago my 3 y/o daughter spent some time playing with her kindergarten aged friend. That weekend the friend's mother called to say that the little girl had chicken pox. Thus began a 2 wk quarantine from the other children in the neighborhood, lest we share the plague. Then there was another 2 wk interval while my child was covered in the pox and we were waiting for another outbreak in our home. Then my 6 mo old baby broke out in the pox. It was another 2 weeks before we felt we could socialize in the neighborhood. During our 6-weeks in hiding, winter had fled and spring had arrived, and I remember standing outside with the baby as we soaked in the springtime sun.

I held tight to a maternal motto that a mother of 5 once shared with me: "Nothing lasts forever. This too shall pass."

marlu said...

I hope you and Andrew are feeling better.

This blog is from the Pacific Northwest and I thought you might enjoy her entry for January 21, 2018.

Peace and love.

http://eyeontheedge.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

How miserable! I hope everyone gets well soon so life can get back to normal.

Karen L. said...

Oh, man! So sorry to hear that. I've heard that things are worse than usual this year. Please take care of yourself. Maybe you can hire a nurse to come help you for a day or two. They usually come to take care of people no matter what. (My daughter is a nurse, sweet people. :)

Karen L. said...

Oh, man! So sorry to hear that. I've heard that things are worse than usual this year. Please take care of yourself. Maybe you can hire a nurse to come help you for a day or two. They usually come to take care of people no matter what. (My daughter is a nurse, sweet people. :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear it! My husband had to travel ALOT when our son was Andrew's age. That's when the washer hose breaks, the power is out for days due to remnants of a tropical storm, a huge tree falls and blocks our driveway, and a little monkey jumping on the bed bumps his head for a late night trip to the ER and 10 stitches. Thankfully, not all during one trip! Hope Tim is home soon, and you're all feeling better!